Filtration/Decontamination

The Prepared Mind Forums Water Filtration/Decontamination

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  PreparedMother 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

TN Homesteader

Quality water is critical to survival during SHTF. Contaminants of all kinds can and will reek havoc to your system, if you have traveled abroad and came down with Montezuma’s Revenge, well, you know!!
    If you are bugging out, you need to have ability to “process” water, i.e., filter, decontaminate, portage and/or replenish. Keeping in mind that water weighs 8lbs per gallon and any exertion increased demand.
    If you are bugging in, you need to have storage capabilities (see Water Storage topic) and volume vs. space is a great consideration, thus back to filtration/or decontamination.
    So, fess up, how are you or plan to handle?

PreparedMother
    Keymaster

Excellent topic. This has prompted me to get serious about the water supply and water filtration at our “alternate location” which is something that I have neglected. For me, I like the Berkey filters so that is my “go to”.

TN Homesteader

Admin – keeping up with the alternate location is a challenge, out of sight, out of mind tends to creep in and with all other activities… D’oh!

Berkey filters are certainly excellent items to have. They can be a bit financially challenging but do present many bang for the buck benefits, including counter top use. Following the motto, “2 is 1, 1 is none”, extra filter cartridges should be considered.

An additional consideration is the input water quality; the better input, the longer life of filters. To address particulates (sedimentary, organic, or other), pre-filtering is a good thing to do and creates a reservoir of water ready to be potable filtered. For this, I have created a “pre-filter” using 2 stacked 5 gallon food grade buckets with snap/removable lids. For filtration, small pool/spa pleated paper filters are inexpensive and available at Walmart and other low price stores. Using some PVC coupling, the water passes trough filter in bucket 1 where particulates remain. One can even add bio-filtration using coffee filters and activated carbon (aquarium store). Adding 1 or 2 of these DIY bio filters to the inside of the pleated paper filter works very well. I have used this filtration method for the rain water used to hydrate my chickens. Although the rain water does not have particulates, better the water, healthier the chicken and better the eggs!

OC
    Participant

Thought I’d share what I use, rather than a $300+ Berkey, a $63 SHTFandGo model that uses ceramic filter, 6 stage filter and a stone thing to make mineral water (filtered mineral water). It works fantastic. I can’t afford the $300+ for a Berkey so $63 is just right. Though they do have their own stainless steel gravity filter/distiller that looks rock solid. And other products at really good prices including “DIY with a bucket” kits.

I also bought the large 5 Gl. SHTF filter system, though I’ve not used it (saving for when needed…). Quality construction on everything, great prices, real people for customer service (small company, family owned).

Hoping John will see this and check them out and maybe work a deal / link to them. I have no connections to them or anything, just know that $300 systems are out of reach for a lot of folks like me. We’ve been using our filter for a little over a year and it’s been flawless. And like I said, great quality, great prices, great customer service. I don’t impress easily either. Hope this is helpful. Oh, heres a link http://www.shtfandgo.com/store/en/16-emergency-water

OC
    Participant

ADMIN, you can delete my post if needed. Don’t want to draw people away from thepreparedmind.club, John actually has a lot of products at great prices. But I think he’s linking to the evil Amazon global cabal. So maybe he can also link to this small American company. Anyway, do what you think is right. Thanks…

PreparedMother
    Keymaster

Thank you, OC. I will check the link.

I have a Berkey myself, but we saved up for it for a long time so I understand the objections to the $$$price.

TN Homesteader

OC – thanks for the tip. SHTF and Go is a company that was not yet in my list of Preparedness stores.

kmussack
    Participant

Our Primary Water Filtration: Burkey (6-gallon)
    http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k514/kmussack/WATER/berkey%20008_zpsz5p5tdv8.jpgBurkey 6-gallon

Our Secondary Water Filtration: Plastic Gravity Filter (4.5-gallon)
    http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k514/kmussack/WATER/filters_zpslr9l8evm.jpgSmall Gravity Filters
    (The small Burkey belongs to my son.)

Our Tertiary Water Filtration: PUR Backpacker Pump (kept in Get-Home Ruck)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  kmussack.

TN Homesteader

kmussack – is part of your plan to pre-filter the Berkey (or secondary) oriented water or just rely on the system to address particulates as well? Of course, your input water source may not have the issue but asking for those that may be developing their SHTF plan and alternate location is not as controlled as you may have.

kmussack
    Participant

If the source water is obviously turbid we’ll prefilter so as to spare our ceramic filters. Our well water is potable as it emerges from the pump and is clear and cold. Drinking rainwater is our last option and it will definitely be filtered.

PreparedMother
    Keymaster

Wow. You guys are squared away! It took us a while to save the money for the Berkey. Extra filters are on our list and might be a Christmas gift to myself 🙂 I think they (Berkey) know that people have caught on to the self-construction of the gravity system, as their replacement filters are quite expensive!

We were only able to get the small version. At the time we bought ours, Berkey was prohibited from shipping anything larger than the 2.5 gallon size to our location (California)

. I don’t know if that is still the case.

White_Tiger
      Participant

Borrowing from a hobby, aquarium operation / marine life keeping, making a small to large scale water filter system cheaper than a fancy stainless steel can seems more prudent. Can you make your own “replacement” filter? Can one collect in more than one spot, of course yet does one haul around a medium to large water filtration system?

For fun and experience one summer, I used a hot tub and 110v submersible pump combined with my inter cooler coil (for cooling wort), and a 6 gallon SS pot on a propane outdoor burner. I made the hot tub operate on 110v and propane using “Hobby Time” tools if you will to practice multi-purposing things. A mind preparedness practice of seeing multi-preparedness in everything. The practice is fun, enlightening and great grey matter work exercise.

Look around at your garage, hardware stores, scrap yards, thrift stores and not limited to garage sales. I challenge anyone to find a cheap but effective and portable but easily duplicated to filter water. At the end of the day, If it cannot be duplicated – tools that break, are stolen, lost or traded – you don’t need it unless you can stockpile it. Storage is an issue.

Just a personal experience but in keeping with the club theme, something to think about and decide on what works for your plan. Stay sharp all and fluid every one.

TN Homesteader

White Tiger – certainly DIY, reusable, repairable, etc. filtration/distillation systems are solutions for SHTF, and certainly for long term preparations. As with other preps, there are tiers of preps that Prepared Minds should consider. A distillation system as you seem to be describing is certainly and option for bug in location.

For portability and passive filtration, having a container/baggie of activated charcoal to provide the bio-filtration is an easy carry item that can be prepared in advance and reproduced using firewood. Of course, one would need other components for completing the filter. Of course, a bandana and two vessels would be in one’s BOB.

Here is a YT video (link –>) Emergency DIY Water Distillation for Survival Bug-Out Bag.

PreparedMother
      Keymaster

THat was awesome! I had no idea it could be so simple to distill water!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.